WWE PPV REPORTS 5/17 Hermanstyne's WWE Judgment Day report: Dot Net contributor attends the pay-per-view, Cubs player Alfonso Soriano and Jay Cutler and other Chicago Bears buy him beers May 18, 2009 - 10:43 AM
By Marvin Hermanstyne
Aired live on pay-per-view
Chicago, Ill. at the All State Arena
I went to my graduation at 3 p.m. and because me and the family went to eat, I didn't make it for the dark match, but I got there right on time for the PPV.
1. Umaga defeated CM Punk. This overall was a good opening match. Its no surprise that Punk jobs because that happens in everyone's hometown. Umaga looks strong as a No. 3 heel on the blue brand and this feud has potential to be decent.
2. Christian def. Jack Swagger to retain the ECW Title. Another good match. So far so good with this PPV. This will most likely set a new program with Kozlov challenging for the title. In my opinion, a Christian/Bourne feud for the belt would be sweet for ECW.
Jay Cutler, Greg Olsen and Alfonso Soriano were in the building and I got free beers from them for getting my MBA. I was about 4 rows behind them. Soriano is quiet as hell, but Cutler still acts like he is in college with all the beer rounds.
3. John Morrison pinned Shelton Benjamin. This was a cool match. I love Morrsion's new finisher because was tight as hell live. Morrsion is really becoming a star in the making.
The Miz got a lot of heat but was golden on the mic. His verbal words to Soriano was funny and The Miz is really growing on me as a performer. Him ripping the Cubs are great because I hate the Cubs. I'm a Southsider so I am a White Sox fan all the way.
4. Rey Mysterio defeated Chris Jericho to retain the IC Title. This match was basically began the downfall of the show. Jericho dominated the match but Mysterio wins. I'm not the biggest fan of Mysterio, but it would have been nice to see the top two heels of Smackdown have gold.
5. Batista defeated Randy Orton by DQ. This WWE title match was forgettable as all hell. Batista bores me and it was obvious that the match would have a dirty finish. To see it being in the middle of the card proved my theory that it wouldn't end clean.
6. John Cena defeated the Big Show. Cena made me want to throw my cap and gown at him for winning this match. The crowd was 70/30 when it came to hating him. The kids and women were the only ones giving him love while people like me booed the hell out of him. Cutler gave me another beer for booing Cena or he was in the process of getting somewhat drunk.
7. Edge defeated Jeff Hardy to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. This match was quality. Seeing the Edgecution for the first time in a long time was classic. I'm glad that the let Edge retain because they need him to be a credible champion instead of being a transitional champion.
Notes: Overall, this PPV was good but not great. The middle of the card was questionable but, overall I would give the show a B overall.
Send the emails to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be back on Friday to cover Friday Night Smackdown!