3/9 Chikara in Orlando results: Title match pulled from the show doesn't stop correspondent from giving a rave review about the overall Chikara experience
Chikara Pro live event
Report by Dot Net reader Michael Hurst
Gavin Loudspeaker announced before the show that Eddie Kingston would not be appearing (he was scheduled to defend the Grand Championship against Green Ant) and offered refunds at the door. Due to Eddie's absence, Green Ant was inserted into the 10-man tag main event, while Saturyne got bumped. The turnout here wasn't as good as Tampa, and the crowd wasn't nearly as vocal either, but the show was great and everybody busted their butts.
1. Oliver Grimsley defeated Eddie Graves in a Qwest Showcase match. Meh match with a couple terrible looking spots. Grimsley's gimmick is a side show freak, and he had good charisma, while Graves didn't impress me at all.
2. The Batiri (Obariyon, Kodama and Kobald) and Ophidian defeated Soldier Ant and Colony Xtreme Force (Arctic Rescue Ant, Missle Assault Ant and Orbit Adventure Ant) when Soldier tapped to Ophidian's Death Grip. Amasis appeared after the match and took out Phiddy while the Batiri and the new Ants were brawling out of the ring. Like in Tampa, the crowd loved the Extreme Ants, while Soldier was flustered with them due to them spending a majority of the match yelling their names over and over again and hamming it up at ringside, thus ignoring their partner. Kobald was unsuccessful in stealing my mask this time around as I put a death grip of my own on it when he came out for the match.
3. Hallowicked defeated Jakob Hammermeier. A solid match Hallowicked won when he capitalized on Jakobs pitiful obsession with Donst, whom he firmly believes is his best friend.
4. assailANT defeated Young Lions Cup champ Mr. Touchdown in a non-title match after making him tap out. Very good match, one of the best of the night. Touchdown is super impressive and has great charisma, while the Big Blue Ant is no slouch either and may be the next YLC champ.
5. Jigsaw and Shard defeated Mike Quackenbush and Fire Ant. The rudos injured Fire Ant's knee and forced him to tap out. Great match and my favorite of the night.
6. Archibald Peck defeated Tim Donst by DQ. The DQ finish came when Steve "The Turtle" Weiner, who was on commentary, attacked Peck fafter Archie accidentally hit Veronica. Donst seems to be starting his own version of The Flock, as he now seemingly has Jakob, Veronica and now Weiner at his beck and call.
7. Green Ant, Dasher Hatfield, Gran Akuma and 3.0 (Scott Parker and Shane Matthews) def. F.I.S.T. (Icarus, Johnny Gargano and Sugar Dunkerton) and Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster and Blaster McMassive) w/Sidney Bakabella. Green Ant picked up the win for his team tapping out Gargano. Great action mixed with some great comedy, and once again, both members of DC showed their agility by attempting moonsaults and dives out of the ring.
Notes: The Orlando and Tampa events were my first two live Chikara shows after having only seen them on MP4 and they did not disappoint. All the good things you hear about this promotion are the truth. From the in-ring action, to the interaction with the fans, they really go all out to make you feel like you are a part of the show. Before, at intermission and after both shows, most of the wrestlers are available and extremely approachable whether it be for an autograph, a pic or just to engage in conversation.
I was fortunate enough to get pics with Sean Waltman, Gargano, Kingston, Fire Ant, Quackenbush, assailANT, Saturyne, Gavin, Jakob and my favorites, The Batiri, Kobald and Ophidian, who may just be the nicest, most down to earth and gracious wrestler I've ever met. Others who I did not get pics with but were also super cool and appreciative were Touchdown, Donst, 3.0, Dasher and Bryce Remsburg.
Chikara really knows how to treat their fans and give them their moneys worth. I've been to a Mania, a Starrcade, and hundreds of other wrestling shows, but nothing compares to seeing Chikara live. I strongly suggest seeing them if you haven't, and have the opportunity to do so, because you will leave with the remembrance of why you fell in love with pro wrestling in the first place.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...