5/20 EVOLVE 8: A second report on the eight-man tournament, Austin Aries pays tribute to Randy Savage
Union City, N.J.
Report by Dot Net reader Ian Elimeliah
Replay available at WWNlive.com
Evolve 8 was a great show. The entrances were hard to keep up with but the in ring action was solid. EVOLVE/DGUSA knows good booking. The crowd wasn't as big as other shows I've seen at the Ace Arena in Union City, NJ. I don't think the show was promoted very well. Not a good idea when you have Austin Aries, Sami Callihan and AR Fox on your card.
The usual hardcore Tri-State fans were there, not to mention, again, sitting in the front row were two guys wearing these T-Shirt's with an "F" on the front... I've seen them at a few Tri-State area Indy shows lately. I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't for the Jon Davis Match. Jon Davis walked out to the ring with the "F." shirt on in his first bout. Even drawing the acknowledgement of Larry Dallas coming to the ring to cut his promo. And Austin Aries was the Star of the Night with his Macho Man Randy Savage Tribute.
1. A.R. Fox beat Rich Swann in a tournament match. Way too short for a Swann vs. Fox match. But Swann during an Fox after match promo disrespected Fox. Swann EVOLVE Heel Turn? Just seeing Swann and Fox in the same sentence you know it was still a quality match. Rich Swann's Standing 450 is incredible.
2. Jon Davis beat Tony Nese in a tournament match. This was the Interesting entrance I mentioned earlier by Jon Davis. I don't know what the T- Shirt means but I want one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zja46x03nas. Solid match by two Huge Athletes. The crowd was split on the two combatants. Nese put on a great performance but Jon Davis ended up crushing Tony by matches end. This is a match up I'd like to see again.
3. Sami Callihan beat Brodie Lee in a tournament match. This was a battle of the beasts. Sami and Brodie are ready for TV time. Sami slips once in a while but I chalk it up to bad equipment all around. But Sami and Brodie gave some serious chops for the audience to ooh and ahhh. Sami and Brodie can have an amazing feud. The crowd ate them up.
4. Bobby Fish beat Austin Aries in a tournament match. Austin Aries was the star of the night. His tribute to Macho was incredible. AA dropped a Double Axe Handle on Fish outside the ring and gave Bobby the Flying Elbow as well. Bobby Fish can't connect on a kick. He's ok but he's doesn't seem as good as I've heard. Maybe an off night for the Fish. I was upset Fish got the win.
5. A.R. Fox beat Jon Davis in a semi-final match. AR Fox impressed again! Jon Davis put up a great fight considering the size difference, but AR was just too much in the end. Jon Davis is a real sight to see. And AR Fox is a Future face of a Fed. The crowd loved AR Fox. Davis did show respect at the end of the match with a hand shake and a good luck with AR Fox.
6. Sami Callihan beat Bobby Fish in a semi-final match. If you love old ECW you need to see Sami Callihan. His character is great and has a classic spin to it. Bobby Fish had a better match with Sami but again he's not my cup of tea right now. Could have been a bad sample. Sami Callihan is a star waiting to break out.
7. SAT beat Ricky Reyes and Alex Colon. These were local guys but they did a great job! SAT is a good looking latin tag group. I like their style in ring and out. Reyes and Colon were solid in the ring as well. Good filler tag. I like SAT's future.
8. Pinkie Sanchez won an eight-man Fray match over Scott Reed, Cheech Hernandez, Brian XL, Blaine Rage, Cory Chavis, Derek Ryze, and Atu. Atu is unreal in person. He does the usual green big man moves but who cares, he's impressive! Cory Chavis stood out as well, real solid outting. The man of the match was Pinkie beating Atu in the ending. Great ring/story work that TNA can learn from. Pinkie will be a Star 100 percent his look and energy is great. He's an original and the Crowd reacts to him.
9. A.R. Fox defeated Sami Callihan in the tournament finals. I loved this match. The back and forth was solid. Two talents that could easily be the faces of a company. They worked well together and impressed me for their third match of the night for both talents. The crowd was split evenly and I cheered for both.
Wake up, fans! Indy shows in your area are inexpensive and are incredibly entertaining. Look up an Indy show near you! Cheaper and better than a TNA/WWE pay-per-view.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
MISC Live Events • Latest Five Articles
|3/28 PWG Mystery Vortex results: Adam Cole vs. Candice LeRae for the PWG Title, The Young Bucks vs. Best Friends for the PWG Tag Titles, Chris Hero vs. Tommaso Ciampa, Johnny Gargano vs. Kyle O’Reilly, Roderick Strong vs. Tony Nese
|3/23 Beyond Wrestling Critical Acclaim: Zim's in-person report on Chris Hero vs. JT Dunn, Michael Elgin vs. Jimmy Jacobs, Mike Bennett appears, and more
|3/22 MCW results: Former WWE Diva Kelly Kelly makes a rare appearance, Jake Roberts, Colt Cabana, and Gangrel also appear on Tag Wars 2K14 event
|3/21 Premier British Wrestling results: Jay Lethal challenges Liam Thompson for the PBW Title, Marty Scurll of TNA British Bootcamp faces Sonjay Dutt, Ricochet, Joe E. Legend
|AAW Epic - The Ten Year Anniversary: Colt Cabana and Jimmy Jacobs vs. Eddie Kingston and Shane Hollister, Arik Cannon vs. Kyle O'Reilly, Alex Shelley vs. Silas Young, Irish Airborne vs. Michael Elgin and Ethan Page
|2/16 Beyond Wrestling Feeding Frenzy: Zim's in-person report of the first-ever Human Wrestling Ring Match, Kevin Steen vs. Drew Gulak, Elgin and Ciampa vs. Dickinson and Jaka, Chuck Taylor vs. Kimber Lee, Jimmy Jacobs debuts, and too much more