11/14 WWE in Leeds, England results: John Cena and C.M. Punk injury scares, Paul Heyman saved by The Wyatt Family, A.J. Lee and Tamina vs. The Bella Twins, Curtis Axel vs. R-Truth for the Intercontinental Title
WWE Live Event
Leeds, England at First Direct Arena
Report by Dot Net reader Asim Iqbal
I arrived at the arena at 5:30. They let us in at 6:15. I’d say it was between 2/3 and ¾ full, quite a few empty seats but Leeds arena only holds 13,000 and it almost semi-circle shaped compared to a full arena which is circle shaped. There was a lot of wooing as we were waiting for the show to start. It started at 7:40 with ring announcer Tony Chimel coming out.
1. The Prime Time Players defeated Hunico and Camacho. A standard tag team match the with Players playing the faces, the heels stalling, and then the faces getting a hot tag. Titus O'Neil won with the sit-out spinebuster. There was a lot of of cheers and chants of Millions of Dollars.
2. Ryback defeated Justin Gabriel. I was very excited to see Gabriel because I really want to see a 450 splash again, but the second Ryback's music hit I thought, great, squash match and no 450 for me. It turned out to be a decent match between the two. Gabriel got quite a few hits in such us a springboard moonsault, a flurry of kicks and several cross-bodies. The crowd was cheering for Ryback with "Goldberg" and "Feed Me More" chants. Ryback won with Shellshocked.
3. The Bella Twins beat A.J. Lee and Tamina. Lots of wolf whistling when the divas came out. Seriously, though, who can blame them! Very loud pop for AJ. Tamina started the match and there were some pops for The Bellas. There was also a small "we want tables" chant that broke out, very similar to the one on Raw. A "we want AJ" chant broke out which AJ at first didn’t acknowledge, but when she tagged in she tagged straight back out and got booed. The same thing happened a couple of minutes later. A very smart move by AJ. Brie Bella won with the X Factor after AJ ran at her off the ropes.
4. The Great Khali defeated Jinder Mahal. A standard boring Khali match. Khali actually got a big pop. What the hell?
A video package was shown about the video game and there were loud boos for Cena and a huge wooo chant for Ric Flair.
Paul Heyman came out with Curtix Axel and Ryback, pandering to the crowd about his injury. He started off with “Ladies & Gentlemen” and instantly got booed, he responded by saying “You booed me for saying ladies and gentleman?! Okay then, The things that live in Leeds…” which got an even bigger boo. Very smart by Heyman. Some of us were confused about why Ryback came out with Heyman based on what was said about Ryback by Heyman on Raw. Punk chants broke out and Heyman was talking about how he was scheduled to face Punk, but there would be no match.
Punk's music hit to a very loud pop. He came out for about 10 seconds, went back in, then came out with a kendo stick which got a huge pop. He went on the mic and asked Ryback why he was taking sides with the man who said bad things about him on Raw. Ryback went “STUPID” to Heyman and left. Punk said Axel and Heyman had ten seconds until he came to the ring and kicked their asses. Punk ran in with the kendo stick and Axel ran out to the back, leaving Heyman by himself. Heyman got battered with the kendo stick to a load of "yes" chants, then the Wyatt Family music hit to a loud pop. They came out and attacked Punk, then Daniel Bryan's played and a tag team match was on.
5. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk defeated Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (w/Bray Wyatt). Wyatt was in his rocking chair but also laid on the stage and on the steps at various points in the match when he got involved. There were two big hot tags for Punk and Byran, but the Wyatts must have stalled for about 15 minutes. Eventually, chaos broke loose and Bray came in the ring. Punk was about to GTS Wyatt, but he was stopped by Harper, who got hit with the Bryan knees. Punk hit the GTS on Rowan for the win for a huge pop. Punk stayed on the ground on his knees after the pin with his head on the floor. The referee attended to him and Bryan also got down and checked on Punk. It seemed like a small injury, as he seemed okay walking back. He did leave the stage about two minutes before Bryan, who was high fiving everyone.
15 minute break
6. The Uso Brothers defeated Drew McIntyre and Heath Slater. Once again, a standard tag team match, with Heath playing around to the crowd doing his 3MB taunt. One of the Uso's did it back to him. The Uso's won after a super kick and a double Samoan slam. There were loud chants for the “U-SO” thing.
7. Curtis Axel Beat R-Truth to retain the Intercontinental Championship. Truth came out to some heavy cheers, although when he chanted “What’s up” a few people on my row as well as myself were chanting "you suck." Back and forth action with Axel stalling at the start. Axel won with an exposed turnbuckle and his finisher.
8. John Cena defeated Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Del Rio came out to heavy cheers by the people I went with. Cena came out to heavy boos. There was the standard "let's go Cena, Cena sucks" chants. I would say it was 35/65 for the chants. Cena was getting heckled by three people dressed like the Wyatts Family, who I spoke with after the show. According to them, he went out of the ring and went to their side as they were chanting "Cena killed wrestling." Cena asked them what moves they wanted him to do. They replied anything but your shoulder tackle. Cena went back in and wrestled.
Cena Irish whipped Del Rio to the corner and seemed to injure his ankle or his Achilles. Cena kept rolling out of the ring. Del Rio was stalling for time by pandering to the fans and actually acknowledging the fans that cheered him. Del Rio attacked the leg (rarely went for the ankle) and targeted the shin. Cena tried a very quick AA about five minutes into the match, but Del Rio countered. Cena tried the five moves of doom but fell after running to do the shoulder block. He rolled in the corner and the ref flashed the X symbol. The doctor came in. Del Rio grabbed the World Title and went on the turnbuckle with it. This looked like a very legit injury to me. The match continued for about 10 minutes with Cena even going to the top rope and doing some signature moves, but he was keeping weight off the ankle. One attempt at the AA seemed to be aborted as his ankle gave way. Cena won with the AA after many counters.
One of the guys dressed like the Wyatt Family threw his hat at Cena, which came near him. The fan was kicked out by security for it. Cena picked it up, then got a mic and cut a promo. "Do people see this hat? What I see is the Wyatt Family. He started naming people dressed up in the crowd, the goldust guy, IRS, Superman, etc. and spoke about how enthusiastic and passionate we all were. It was a very good promo. He seemed to have everyone pro Cena by the end of it. Cena walked out fine afterward. I’m 90 percent sure it was a legit injury or else Cena has out-schooled Dolph Ziggler in selling by a mile, which is near impossible.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...