1/19 WWE Raw in Ontario: John Cena and Ryback vs. C.M. Punk and Dolph Ziggler, Vickie Guerrero gets a babyface reaction, Bo Dallas vs. Tensai, poor Divas Championship match
WWE Raw live event
Ontario, California at Citizen's Bank Arena
Report by Dot Net reader Ron R Lewis
There was a solid tunout as both the floor level and midrange seats seemed full. There was the usual B A Star promos as people filed in. The Raw theme song and intro video played as Justin Roberts welcomed us to the show and got the crowd hyped up.
1. Brodus Clay (w/Cameron, Naomi) defeated Jack Swagger by pinfall. Brodus and both the Funkettes were out to kick of the show, to a far tamer reception then he recieved when they were here a year ago. Next out was Swagger to decent heat. He's grown his hair out slightly since he was last seen on TV. They had a decent match with back and forth action before Clay did the Call My Mama splash for the pin. Then it was the usual bring the kids into the ring to dance, which was actually more entertaining as one of the kids showed Clay and the Funkettes up by doing flips and break dancing to Clay's amusement.
Justin Roberts introduced CM Punk to a mixed reaction from the crowd. Punk then proceeded to remind the crowd of his recent knee problems. He then produced a note from his doctor excusing him from singles competition because of the injury. While the crowd booed, Punk insisted this was not part of the show and was real life as Dolph Ziggler, AJ, and Big E Langston made their way to ringside. Ziggler was wearing a mask over his face, as he explained that he must have caught something when he was doing the meet and greet earlier in the day as he was now too sick to wrestle.
Dolph fake coughed his way through a note from his doctor which explained that Dolph Ziggler was too sick to wrestle, brother. This brought Vickie Guerrero out to a surprising baby ace reaction. She said she sympathized with both men for having such a bad night, to which both the heels praised her. She then switched gears, explaining that the fans of Ontario bought a ticket to see great action and as Supervising Manager of Raw it was her job to deliver. She then asked the fans if they wanted to see Punk and Ziggler in tag team action. She then asked the crowd if they thought their opponents should be John Cena and Ryback. The heels then came unglued about how unfair this was as Vickie left.
2. Bo Dallas defeated Tensai. Dallas surprisingly has a Titantron video and looks a lot like the old USA Express version of his father. I have no idea what actually happened in this match, as I made my way to the concession and souvenir stands during it. The only way I know Dallas won is I because saw on the video screens at the concession stand that his video was playing.
3. Damian Sandow defeated Alex Riley by pinfall. Sandow's theme music hit to the displeasure of the crowd. Sandow proceeded to explain to the crowd that this was usually where he would bring someone into the ring in his search for an apprentice. But in much fancier words than I have he told the crowd they were too stupid and that he would ask and answer all three questions himself. The first question which was greeted by "What" chants was what was his least favorite word in the English language.
Sandow added he didn't need to answer, as surprisingly the crowd had answered it for him. The second question was what state had the stupidest residents, to which his answer was California. And the final question was if there was anyone in the back worthy of facing him, to which he stated the obvious answer was No. Cue Riley's theme to a decent reaction for a guy who hasn't been on TV in forever and a day. They had a back and forth match which Sandow won with his cartwheel and finisher.
A pre-taped interview with Antonio Cesaro then aired setting up his match with Miz for a little later in the show. Roberts then prompted the crowd to vote by Twitter or text if they wanted to see a two out of three falls match or a no DQ match. Shockingly over 90 percent voted for the no DQ.
4. Antonio Cesaro defeated The Miz by pinfall to retain the United States Championship. Cesaro was out first waving a large American flag. As a side note, I'm really starting to like his take on the old Rougeau All American Boy heel act. The Miz was out next to the biggest face pop of the night thus far. The action started out slowly with a few lockups and holds traded back and forth. Business, as JR would say, picked up as Cesaro went under the ring to grab a Kendo Stick. Another side note, since neither guy brought it out beforehand, why would a kendo stick be under the ring, but I digress.
Cesaro proceeded to beat Miz senseless with the stick, before the tide turned again. Miz had a turn with the stick before he tossed Cesaro to the outside of the ring. Miz then proceeded to do the toss slam onto the guardrail a few times around the ring. Cesaro went back on offense, then made his way out to find more plunder. He teased pulling a table out from under the ring, to great heat when he didn't do it. Miz would also attempt to pull the table out, only to be stopped by Cesaro who tossed two chairs into the ring. Cesaro attempted an elbow drop with one of the chairs but missed.
Miz returned to the Kendo stick, using it on Cesaro before finally pulling the table out, to an even bigger pop. I think the table was more over than Miz, but again I digress. Miz attempted to set the table up. but one of the legs was broken so he settled for propping it up in the corner. More back and forth action before Miz dropped several knees to Cesaro's leg to whoo chants from the crowd. Miz locked the figure four in, Cesaro reached the ropes then looked to the ref to break the hold.
The ref shrugged at Cesaro as it was a no DQ match. Antonio eventually reached the Kendo Stick and used that to get Miz to break the lock. Miz would eventually get the upper hand again and attempt a top rope move only to be greeted by Cesaro's huge uppercut forearm. One Neutralizer later and Cesaro had retained the title. Antonio then started to leave the ring before deciding he wasn't through and attempting another Neutralizer. Miz was having none of it, reversing the hold and putting the champ through the table to send the crowd to intermission happy.
Justin Roberts hawked the souvenir cup, program, and promised that the WWE would return to Ontario in the very near future. Seeing as it's been almost a year since they were last here, I'd say my definition of near future and the WWE's are very, very different.
5. Kaitlyn defeated Tamina Snuka by pinfall to retain the Divas Title. The less said about this match the better, as it was one of the worst matches I have ever seen. Tamina did her best, but Katilyn is just terrible. Kaitlyn won with what I guess was some kind of spear, but looked like she kind of just fell in Snuka's direction. How the Divas division has fallen from the days of Trish, Lita, Victoria, etc.
6. Zach Ryder defeated Cody Rhodes by pinfall. Cody had decent heat, but the crowd seemed more interested in creating various chants about his mustache then booing him. Ryder received a moderate pop, again demonstrating just how much momentum he has lost by the way he has been booked. A solid back and forth match, which Ryder surprisingly won with the Rough Ryder.
7. John Cena and Ryback defeated CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler (w/ AJ Lee, Big E Langston) by pinfall. Ziggler and his entourage made their way to the ring first, with Ziggler still sporting his mask. For the record, AJ is much, much hotter live than she is on TV. Punk eventually made his way out, alternating between selling his supposed knee injury and jawing with the crowd. He stopped to take a kid's sign and rip it up, boy I hope his Mom doesn't take to Twitter to complain.
Ryback was out next to feed him more chants from the crowd. Finally came the moment this crowd had been waiting for all night, and the building came unglued as Cena's music hit and he made his way to the ring. An amusing bit of comedy for their benefit, as Punk dived at Cena as he ran and slid into the ring, missing completely. Punk then limped again over to his side of the ring. After the faces first bit of offense, Punk and the Ziggler party all huddled outside of the ring to the displeasure of the crowd. Back and forth action with both teams getting pretty much all their signature offense in.
At one point AJ slapped Cena, distracting the ref allowing Big E to hit Ryback with his finisher. Cena complained to the ref, leading to Langston being ejected. AJ was very displeased by this turn of events, entering the ring and shoving the ref, leading to her ejection. A Five Knuckle Shuffle and Attitude Adjustment later and the crowd was sent home happy as the faces won.
Justin Roberts thanked us for coming and asked us to please drive home safely as Cena slapped hands. Ryback stood on the ring steps trying to start a Feed Me More chant, but the crowd was in the palm of Cena's hand and would have none of it.
1. John Cena by far
3. Vickie Guerrero
1. CM Punk
2. Dolph Ziggler
3. Damian Sandow
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
WWE Live Events • Latest Five Articles
|3/29 WWE in Charlottesville results: No John Cena leads to refund offer, The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family, Daniel Bryan vs. Kane, Dolph Ziggler and Emma vs. Fandango and Summer Rae, Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow, Big Show
|3/28 WWE in Raleigh results: Jonny Fairplay’s live perspective, Bray Wyatt's different look (photo included), John Cena, Goldust, and Cody Rhodes vs. The Wyatt Family, Big E vs. The Miz vs. Kofi Kingston for the IC Title
|3/21 WWE in Bridgeport results: The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family, Randy Orton vs. John Cena in a cage match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus, Alicia Fox vs. Aksana
|3/16 WWE in Corpus Christi results: "Daniel Bryan alone couldn't save this from being the most boring card I have ever been to in 25-plus years" - Big Show vs. Christian, Big E vs. The Miz for the IC Title, Great Khali vs. Brodus Clay
|3/15 WWE in Austin results: Mark Henry talks retirement, Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio in the best match of the night, Randy Orton vs. John Cena in a cage match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
|3/9 WWE in Jonesboro results: Batista and John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton, The Uso Brothers vs. Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs. Ryback and Curtis Axel for the WWE Tag Team Championship