9/23 WWE Smackdown in London, Ont.: Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio in a street fight for the World Hvt. Championship, Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. The Prime Time Players for the WWE Tag Titles
WWE Smackdown live event
London, Ont. at the Budweiser Gardens
Report by John Canton of TJRwrestling.com
I would guess the attendance was about 5,000 people. At the beginning of the show, Dolph Ziggler was shown on the video screens cutting a promo about his match against Tyson Kidd.
1. Tyson Kidd defeated Dolph Ziggler. The crowd was very supportive of the Canadian Kidd while Ziggler got some cheers. Ziggler did a good job of limiting those by taunting the crowd as much as he could. They worked for about 12 minutes. When you see Ziggler work in person you can really tell that he does all of the little things right. Kidd's an awesome worker too that just needs the chance to showcase that on television on a regular basis. Kidd won with a cradle after battlinging over a submission move. It was the best match of the day, in my opinion.
After the match, Ziggler said that even though he lost he was still Mr. Money in the Bank and he may cash in his briefcase later.
2. Kofi Kingston beat Ted DiBiase. DiBiase worked as a face. Early on, DiBiase's nose started bleeding. The doctor ran out to ringside while the ref put on the white gloves. DiBiase shook Kingston's hand and then gave him a clothesline in a bit of a heel move. Kingston fought back for the win with Trouble in Paradise. Post match, they shook hands. The crowd wasn't into it that much because there was no story with the two of them.
Ring announcer Tony Chimel encouraged us to vote, via Twitter, for the stipulation of the Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio match. It was either a street fight or 2 out of 3 falls. They put the hashtags on the screen and you had to put #wwelondonon on them as well.
3. Natalya over Rosa Mendes. Pre-match, Rosa spoke in Spanish to get some heat. Natalya worked as a babyface in her native Canada. She led the crowd in "Canada" chants a few times. Of course Rosa is Canadian as well. She was born in British Columbia. Natalya won by putting her in the Sharpshooter. She started to apply the move when she was on her back. Rosa tapped out quickly.
4. Kane and Daniel Bryan defeated The Prime Time Players to retain the WWE Tag Titles. It's one thing to see how much the fans love the Kane/Bryan duo on Raw and Smackdown, but to experience it live is another story. Early on they grabbed a fan sign that said "I'm the tag team champions" and took turns holding the sign up as they yelled about it. For the finish, Kane was setting up for the Chokeslam when Bryan tagged himself back in, put Young into the No Lock and got the submission win. Post match, Kane and Bryan argued again. Then they hugged it out. After the hug, Bryan took both tag titles and ran away with Kane chasing after him. All of the pre-match and post-match hijinks made the whole thing last about 20 minutes. It was fine by us because we absolutely loved the Kane/Bryan team.
Intermission. It was a 15 minute break.
5. Wade Barrett beat Yoshi Tatsu. Barrett did a pre-match promo as people were still returning to their seats. I'm surprised Tatsu got as much as offense he did, but Barrett finished him off rather easily with his elbow shot to the head.
6. Ryback defeated Jinder Mahal. It went about eight minutes. The crowd was into Ryback early, but then he was selling Mahal's offense in the middle of the match, so the crowd was losing some interest. Ryback finished it off with his Shell Shocked finisher. After the match, Ryback led the crowd in "feed me more" chants and the fans were into that. Not many "Goldberg" chants for the record.
The main event was next. They had about 30 minutes until the end of the show, so they did a lot of pre-match stuff. Ricardo Rodriguez ripped up a kid's Sheamus sign. The kid was very sad about it, so Sheamus gave the kid his t-shirt. Before the match started, Tony Chimel announced that the voting was in and "Street Fight" won as the stipulation.
7. Sheamus defeated Alberto Del Rio in a Street Fight to retain the World Hvt. Championship. They used kendo sticks and chairs as weapons. They worked for about 15 minutes. The crowd was into it even though it's a match we've seen on PPV many times in recent months. Both guys worked hard and the chemistry was there. Del Rio went for the Cross Armbreaker. Sheamus fought out of it and won the match with a Texas Cloverleaf submission.
Post match, Del Rio and Rodriguez attacked the arm of Sheamus with chair shots. They left proudly. Dolph Ziggler's music started up and he came out there with his Money in the Bank briefcase along with ref Jack Doan. Just as he was about to cash in, Sheamus got to his feet and gave him a Brogue Kick.
After the show, Sheamus spent a few minutes interacting with fans around ringside. He signed autographs, took pictures with kids and went around the entire building mingling with the people.
All of the wrestlers worked hard, the fans were into most of the matches and the crowd was loud as usual. I've been to dozens of house shows in my life and they are generally a good time. This was no different.
3. Daniel Bryan
1. Alberto Del Rio
2. Dolph Ziggler
3. Wade Barrett
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
WWE Live Events • Latest Five Articles