8/26 WWE Smackdown in Rochester, Minnesota: Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio for the World Hvt. Championship, Dolph Ziggler wanted to cash in Money in the Bank, Ryback vs. Jinder Mahal, Natalya vs. Kaitlyn
WWE Smackdown live event
Rochester, Minnesota at the Mayo Civic Center
Report by Dot Net reader Dan Strauss
Matt Stryker opened the show and did a good job in the emcee role and with ring introductions all night. The National Anthem was played. I know they do this on Raw/Smackdown prior to the show going on the air but I wish they’d find a way to get it on TV.
1. Brodus Clay beat Damien Sandow.
2. The Usos beat Johnny Curtis and Michael McGillicutty. McGillicutty got a few "Perfect" chants from the fans in his (and his father’s) home state. He replied by yelling to the crowd, "I’m MORE than perfect." Funny moment.
3. Ryback beat Jinder Mahal. Thus far I haven’t been impressed with Ryback’s matches or the way he’s been booked. I must be in the minority because Ryback received a pretty large pop. The fans absolutely love the whole "feed me more" bit.
4. Kaitlyn beat Natalya.
5. Kane beat Daniel Bryan in a tables match (fans had a choice between that and a 2 out of 3 falls match). Great match. Bryan’s "YES/NO" bit is one of the most over, crowd-engaging bits in a long time. In my opinion, it’s one of the few catchphrases/shticks from today’s WWE that would have still been over in the Attitude Era.
6. Sin Cara beat Cody Rhodes. A few of us in our section started a not very successful "USA! USA!" chants. Apparently patriotic chants only work for babyfaces, not heels. Cody was fun to watch. His in-ring work and facial expressions were that of a true professional. He’s got a lot of the overall skills needed for the top of the card.
7. Randy Orton beat Dolph Ziggler. Both men worked real hard in a great wrestling match. Orton really does have a long list of quality, believable wrestling moves in his arsenal.
8. Sheamus beat Alberto Del Rio in a last-man-standing match to retain the World Heavyweight Title. Ricardo Rodriguez introduced the challenger. Ricardo is fun to watch live because he’s never off-camera like he is on TV. He works damn near as hard as the wrestlers. Both wrestlers did some good house-show mic work before the match. Chairs, kendo sticks, and T-shirts used as weapons during the match. In the end, Del Rio missed Sheamus with a chair shot and hit Ricardo instead. It was a pretty legit chair shot that Ricardo sold great. Sheamus won with an awesome Brouge kick.
As a nice surprise after the match, Ziggler appeared out of nowhere ready to cash in his MITB contract. He actually handed it to a referee and immediately received a kick to the head, ending the confrontation and sending everyone home happy. My question is, since the referee actually received the briefcase and it left Ziggler’s hands, did that constitute cashing it in? I know, I know, it’s just a house show.
Notes: Overall a great house show with no complaints. Many of the bigger matches were plenty long and featured a lot of great wrestling.
Biggest crowd reactions (good or bad)
1. America (USA! USA!)
3. Randy Orton
4. Daniel Bryan
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
WWE Live Events • Latest Five Articles
|3/29 WWE in Charlottesville results: No John Cena leads to refund offer, The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family, Daniel Bryan vs. Kane, Dolph Ziggler and Emma vs. Fandango and Summer Rae, Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow, Big Show
|3/28 WWE in Raleigh results: Jonny Fairplay’s live perspective, Bray Wyatt's different look (photo included), John Cena, Goldust, and Cody Rhodes vs. The Wyatt Family, Big E vs. The Miz vs. Kofi Kingston for the IC Title
|3/21 WWE in Bridgeport results: The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family, Randy Orton vs. John Cena in a cage match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus, Alicia Fox vs. Aksana
|3/16 WWE in Corpus Christi results: "Daniel Bryan alone couldn't save this from being the most boring card I have ever been to in 25-plus years" - Big Show vs. Christian, Big E vs. The Miz for the IC Title, Great Khali vs. Brodus Clay
|3/15 WWE in Austin results: Mark Henry talks retirement, Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio in the best match of the night, Randy Orton vs. John Cena in a cage match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
|3/9 WWE in Jonesboro results: Batista and John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton, The Uso Brothers vs. Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs. Ryback and Curtis Axel for the WWE Tag Team Championship