Report by Dot Net reader Jay Harrison
Awesome... This was the first time WWE had been to Florence since 2010. The show was originally scheduled for December of last year but had to be rescheduled. Most of the seats at the Civic center were filled except for a few in the upper parts of the arena and it was a very pro-babyface crowd. The fans (which consisted heavily of kids with their parents) cheered for all the babyfaces and booed all the heels in typical fashion.
This was an extremely pro-Cena crowd, as he received a resounding reaction of cheers and no boos at all. I was waiting for the "Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks" chant to begin but the crowd was entirely behind him. There were some Daniel Bryan supporters in the arena, even after he cut a very heel promo about the Florence fans and a couple of dueling "Yes" and "No" chants broke out amongst the crowd during his match with Sheamus.
1. Sin Cara defeated Hunico (w/Camacho). There was a lot of the high-flying stuff that we've seen in the past from these guys. It seemed like the real Sin Cara behind the mask as most of his moves were pretty fluid.
2. David Otunga defeated Zack Ryder. The crowd was really hot for Ryder. Otunga received a lot of heat when he scored the victory.
3. Santino Marella beat Jack Swagger to retain the U.S. Title. This was the typical house show title change reversal, as it appeared Swagger had won the title only to have another ref come out and restart the match because Santino's foot was on the ropes. Santino won with the Cobra.
4. Great Khali defeated Cody Rhodes and Christian via DQ in a handicap match. After Khali made his entrance, Eve came out and announced that per John Lauranitis firing of the Big Show on Monday that it would now be a handicap match. The heels took turns tagging each other out of the match to avoid Khali and the finish came when both men attacked Khali and neither would leave the ring. In the end, Khali cleared the ring and was announced the winner by disqualification.
5. Randy Orton defeated Kane in a No Disqualifications match. Before the match, a video of Kane was shown cutting a promo about him doing to Orton what he did to CM Punk on Smackdown, which was some nice attention to detail by WWE. This match was more of what we've been getting from these two, with a lot of near falls, weapons, and reversals. The finish came when Orton whipped Kane into an exposed turnbuckle and hit the RKO to score the win.
6. Sheamus defeated Daniel Bryan to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. This match ended up being the match of the night and was just as good, if not better than some of the television matches I've seen involving them. Of all the matches it went the longest, with both guys hitting their signature spots. The "Yes" chants were in full effect while Sheamus also received a lot of love from the crowd. Sheamus won with a Brogue Kick.
7. Layla defeated Beth Phoenix to retain the WWE Divas Championship. This was the longest Divas match I've seen in some time. The match went just over five minutes. Both women worked really hard and showed that they can both perform when given time. Beth dominated most of this match but Layla won with the Layout Neckbreaker.
8. John Cena defeated The Miz. Before the match, The Miz cut a promo about how the fans had been criticizing him on Twitter, calling him a loser and a one hit wonder and then did his usual routine. Cena came out to a massive pop and was super intense in playing to the crowd. Shortly after the match started, The Miz motioned to leave the arena but just narrowly beat the ref's ten count. Miz controlled the majority of the match until Cena rallied behind the fans support, finally gaining the upperhand and beating the Miz with the AA to send the crowd home happy.
Overall this was an exciting show with some surprise returns and surprisingly competitive matches. The superstars seemed like they were really out to entertain the fans and everyone was definitely appreciative of WWE putting on such a great show just one night before Over The Limit.
Biggest Pops - John Cena, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Sin Cara
Most Heat- Daniel Bryan, The Miz, David Otunga
5/19 WWE SuperShow in Florence, S.C. results: Sin Cara returns, John Cena vs. The Miz, Shemaus vs. Daniel Bryan for the World Hvt. Championship, Layla vs. Beth Phoenix for the WWE Divas Championship
May 20, 2012 - 09:35 AM
May 20, 2012 - 09:35 AM
© Copyright 2012 by PROWRESTLING.NET