WWE Smackdown Live Event
Birmingham, England at LG Arena
Report by Dot Net reader Matt Wyatt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The arena was nowhere near sold out with empty seats all around the floor area and up in the stands. Mostly kids with their parents. Cena and Ryback T=Shirts everywhere. There were a couple of merch stands but they were pretty poor. Hardly anything on offer but were packed all night.
1. Santino, Ted DiBiase, Drew McIntyre and Jinder Mahal defeated The Prime Time Players, Epico and Primo (w/Rosa Mendes). Huge pops for the faces as the first ones out. Lot of love for Titus too. Santino wins it with the Cobra. The Shield immediately attack following the match, taking everyone out and hitting the triple bomb on Dibiase. Huge pop/heat for The Shield.
2. Fandango (w/Summer Rae) defeated Alex Riley. Not a whole lot of love for Fandango. Some of the older fans tried to start people humming along to his music but it didn't work. Fandango beat Riley with CrossRhodes finisher. I missed most of this due to a bathroom break.
Mark Henry cut a short promo on The Great Khali from the Big Screens.
3. Natalya defeated Alicia Fox. Hornswoggle introduced the match. Sadly, the crowd was dead but the women tried hard and had a decent match. Natalya won with The Sharpshooter (huge pop for the finish).
A Sheamus promo aired on the big screens to set up the last match later in the night.
4. Mark Henry defeated The Great Khali. The crowd loved Henry. Kids love Khali. I felt bad for him as he can barely move and looks so bad in person. Henry won with the World's Strongest Slam. Nothing much but Henry was just awesome in every way.
5. Alberto Del Rio (w/Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated Jack Swagger in a No-DQ match. Zeb Colter came out with Swagger but was sent to the back due to a Twitter Poll following a fun little promo in which he got the city name wrong, etc. Del Rio played Matador with Swagger and his flag, which the kids loved. Huge pop for Ricardo with everyone "speaking" along with him for Del Rio's entrance. Swagger is huge in person but you probably already know that! This was great. Better than their matches on TV that's for sure. The crowd loved Del Rio throughout. Lots of kendo shots etc. Del Rio went through a table in the corner but took the win with the Cross Arm Breaker.
6. Wade Barrett defeated Justin Gabriel to retain the Intercontinental Title. Most people were still not back in their seats, yet there was still a huge pop for Barrett's entrance. Not a lot of love for Gabriel but some liked him. Barrett won with the Ball Hammer. I don't remember anything more than that but it wasn't insulting to the eyeballs or anything.
7. Randy Orton defeated Big Show. Huge pop for Show. HUGE pop for Orton. He was loved. Loads of stalling from Show at the start which drew good heat. They had a good, basic match. Good finishing sequence: draping DDT off the top rope, kick out, chokeslam, kick out, RKO, pin for Orton. Lot of heat for this. Orton went around ringside following the match to massive cheers.
8. Sheamus and the New Age Outlaws defeated The Shield via DQ. The NAO were just fantastic live. All of the older fans were chanting along while the kids were just waiting for Sheamus. Huge pop for the Big Fella. The Shield out to huge heat from the kids but big love from everybody else. They were the only reason we went after seeing the announced line up. Extremely disappointing "match." It lasted about five minutes. No Billy Gunn tag in at all. Road Dogg got beat down. Hot tag to Sheamus. The Shield used the chair. The end. We left immediately to beat the crowd, but I understand Sheamus hit Brogue Kicks on everyone to make the kids happy.
Notes: Overall, it wasn't a bad show but not sure we would go to a Smackdown show again. They announced a return date for November. Thanks for reading. Please feel free to contact me on the above e-mail address for anymore info.
4/20 WWE Smackdown in Birmingham: The New Ages Outlaws and Sheamus vs. The Shield, Jack Swagger vs. Alberto Del Rio in a No-DQ match, Fandango vs. Alex Riley, Mark Henry vs. The Great Khali
Posted in: WWE Live Events
Apr 21, 2013 - 01:30 PM
Apr 21, 2013 - 01:30 PM
© Copyright 2013 by PROWRESTLING.NET