WWE Money in the Bank
Aired live on pay-per-view
Chicago, Ill. at Allstate Arena
A video recapped the C.M. Punk storyline in normal awesome style…The opening song played, followed by the pyro, and Michael Cole, Booker T, and Jerry "The King" Lawler checked in on commentary…
1. Daniel Bryan defeated Sheamus, Kane, Sin Cara, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Heath Slater, and Justin Gabriel in the Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder Match at 24:33. There were rapid fire moves for six solid minutes and it was too much to cover. Bryan ducked a clothesline and dove through the ropes on to Barrett. Gabriel hit a dive on Kane. Slater took out Rhodes with a corkscrew dive. Sin Cara took out Sheamus with his high cross body. Sin Cara showed off and hit more rapid fire moves before Sheamus ran in and powerbombed him through a ladder stretched from the apron to the announce table. Sin Cara did the stretcher job as the match continued.
Sheamus lifted Bryan on his shoulders and Kane hit the clothesline from the top for a Doomsday Device. A "LOD" chant broke out. Sheamus set a ladder in the middle of the ring, and then a bridge from the middle turnbuckle to the ladder. Kane grabbed him and hit him and the choke slammed Rhodes and Slater. Kane climbed the ladder, but they ran a series where everyone pulled everyone off the ladder. Slater ended up on the top rope and Sheamus and Barrett tried to shove him off with a ladder. They finally shoved him off onto Kane.
Sheamus laid waste to everyone and climbed the ladder. Kane recovered and battled with Sheamus on the ladder. Kane came around the ladder and grabbed the throat. He choke slammed Sheamus onto the ladder that was setup in the corner is a sick looking spot. Barrett hit wasteland on Kane and Gabriel hit a 450 from on top of a ladder that was lying on the top rope. Barrett hit wasteland over the top rope with Gabriel onto Slater to take them out.
Barrett climbed the ladder along with Daniel Bryan and Cody Rhodes. Bryan hooked a guillotine choke on Rhodes as Barrett tried to get the briefcase from behind him. Bryan knocked Rhodes off and battled with Barrett. Barrett tried for wasteland on the ladder, but Bryan fought back and hit a kick to the head. Daniel Bryan climbed the ladder and grabbed the briefcase for the win. That is not a misprint…
Shore's Slant: Holy shit! I can't believe it. I really have no idea what to say. I never thought this was possible. I mean, I gave him an outside chance, but I never thought they would pull the trigger. If this is a harbinger of what is to come, I can't wait.
2. Kelly Kelly (w/Eve Torres) defeated Brie Bella (w/Nikki) to retain the WWE Diva's Championship at 4:48. Kelly hit Brie and Brie went to the floor. Kelly hit a clothesline on both women from the apron and rolled Brie in the ring. Brie attacked her and took control. There was no storytelling, just random moves. Kelly hit her finisher to retain…
Shore's Slant: Why did we have that match. That had no excitement to it at all. Someone at the show texted, "Thanks Diva's for making the concession line long as hell." Exactly.
A video recapped the Big Show vs. Mark Henry feud…
3. Mark Henry defeated The Big Show at 6:00. Both guys went right at each other to start, and they rolled to the floor. Show got the better and clotheslined Henry on the floor. He tossed him over the stairs and closed on him. Henry hit a dropkick into the stairs that hit Show in the knee. Henry rolled Show in the ring and worked the knee with a single leg crab.
Henry broke the hold and set Show in the corner. He charged in and Show got the foot up. He hit a shoulder tackle from the second rope and called for the choke slam. Henry powered out and hit the World's Strongest Slam for two. Henry hit another slam and then two splashes for the win. Post-match, Henry got a chair and put Show's foot in it. He climbed to the second rope, and hit a splash on the chair. Show sold it like his foot was broke, even telling the trainer who ran out he heard it crack. They brought the stretcher out, but sent it back and got the trainers cart to get Show from the ring…
Shore's Slant: Wow, I had no idea they were going that far, but good for them in giving Henry the monster role. And good for Show to do the stretcher job for him.
Backstage, Josh Matthews walked up to Vince McMahon, who was talking to Johnny Ace, and asked if he had signed Punk. Vince said no and said Punk threw him out of their meeting. Vince said that if C.M. Punk leaves the arena with the belt, "May God have mercy on his soul."…
4. Alberto Del Rio defeated Jack Swagger, The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Evan Bourne, and Kofi Kingston in the Raw Brand Money in the Bank Ladder Match at 15:56. Everyone grabbed a ladder on the way to the ring and everyone attacked Del Rio at the bell. They drove Del Rio to the floor and then buried him with ladders. Mysterio and Kofi performed simultaneous dives onto guys on the floor, and the Bourne hit Airbourne from a ladder onto everybody.
The rapid fire moves broke out and Miz and Bourne ended up on the ladder at the top. Del Rio knocked the ladder over and Miz held onto the briefcase for a moment. He dropped to the mat and really sold an injury. He rolled to the floor and his knee looked like it could have been dislocated. He was helped to the back and the match continued.
Later in the match, there were about six ladders in the ring and almost everyone climbed up. The battled with each other and were slowly taken out one by one. Kofi and Swagger were the last to fall and miz came hobbling back to the ring. He hopped up the ladder, but Rey grabbed him and slammed his leg on the ladder and followed with a powerbomb to put him out.
Rey climbed to the top and Del Rio ran in. They fought on the top of the cage and Rey hit him with the case. Del Rio snatched the mask off Mysterio and tossed him onto a setup ladder. Mysterio's ladder fell into Del Rio's and everything went down. Del Rio set the ladder back up and climbed for the win. Del Rio had a cut on his shoulder and another under his pecs. Ouch…
Shore's Slant: That was one of those matches where I fought to not just quit typing and watch as a fan. Del Rio was the obvious pick, and I fully expect to see him again later tonight. Great ladder match.
Backstage, Matthews interview Del Rio. Del Rio said he didn't understand why he had to be in the match because he was already the number one contender. He said it was his destiny to be the WWE Champion…
Shore's Slant: Bad idea to do that promo. Now everybody will be looking for him to come out if Punk wins.
6. Christian defeated Randy Orton by disqualification for the World Heavyweight Championship at 12:22. During ring introductions, Tony Chimmel gave the disqualification stipulation, but not the bad ref one. Christian slid a chair in the ring at the bell, but Orton tossed it over the side. Christian slapped him, and Orton hit a straight right hand and worked from control to start.
Action got hot about 8:00 in when Orton hit a dropkick on Christian off the top rope. Orton tried for the RKO three times. On the third, Christian reversed into a Kill Switch for a great near fall. Christian tried for a spear, but Orton jumped over and hit his new neckbreaker, followed by his DDT on the ropes.
Orton called for the RKO and Christian backed into the corner. Orton went to get him and Christian spat right in his face. Orton went nuts and hit several punches. He completely lost it and kicked Christian in the nuts to lose the match, and the championship. Post-match, Orton drove Christian to the floor and hit him with a monitor. Teddy long and the entire ref crew ran out and begged Orton to stop, but Orton RKOed Christian on the announce table, but it didn't break. Orton started to leave, but went back and hit another RKO on the table and it still didn't break. He finally left after freaking out some more and Christian had to be helped backstage…
Shore's Slant: Dear lord. I don't know what Orton made tonight, but it wouldn't be worth that spit to the face. I was nauseated watching. Good match, but a weak ending. I knew the stip would play in, but I thought it would be the bad ref call. My only problem? Who is the heel in this as they go forward?
The C.M. Punk vs. John Cena hype video aired. Punk made his ring entrance to a huge pop. He sat in the ring and then got the crowd fired up again by taking his shirt off. Cena came out to mad heat. Punk went ring side and clapped next to Colt Cabana, who was sitting ringside. He climbed in the ring for introductions. Here. We. Go…
7. C.M. Punk defeated John Cena for the WWE Championship at 33:45. Cena and Punk actually had a scaled back series of mat wrestling. Cena went for the AA. Punk escaped and went for the GTS. Cena escaped and they stared each other down. This is not what I expected from Cena.
Punk worked a headlock in the middle of the ring and another competing chant broke out. Punk ran to the corner and ran up. He tried for a twisting cross body but went short. Cena tried to catch him and Punk landed with his ribs on Cena's knee. Punk took a moment to catch his breath while Cena sold the knee on the apron. Punk finally went over and tried to suplex Cena into the ring, but Cena suplexed him to the floor instead.
Cena rolled Punk into the middle of the ring and they traded blows. Cena reversed a whip and hooked an inside cradle that was called an abdominal stretch. Punk escaped and they traded finisher lifts. Punk went for the high knee in the corner and missed. Cena went for the five knuckle shuffle, but Punk kicked him in the head. Cena came right back and finally hit it much to the displeasure of the Chicago crowd.
Cena lifted for the AA and Punk flipped all the way through. He messed up and landed on his ass, but popped up and hit several kicks. He hit the high knee in the on the ropes. He hit a second one and it was as stiff as any move I have ever seen. He hit the bulldog and followed with a springboard clothesline for two.
Cena came back and tried for the AA again but Punk slid out and lifted for GTS. Cena grabbed the leg and reversed into a STF in a very cool move. Punk muscled out and reversed into an Anaconda Vice. Cena made the ropes and hit the AA for a near fall. Cena hit the top rope leg drop and the AA again for a great near fall at the half hour mark.
Cena took Punk to the top and started for an AA. Punk fought him off and hit a Frankensteiner. Punk hit the knee in the corner and followed with a GTS to the stomach that spilled Cena to the floor. Punk looked discouraged and went to the floor and rolled Cena in the ring. Vince McMahon and John Laurinaitis walked out and stared at Punk. Punk stared at them and then jumped in the ring.
Cena hooked the STF on the delay and Vince called for the bell. Johnny Ace ran to get the bell rang and Cena slid out and dropped him. Cena said, "Not like this," to McMahon. He slid back in the ring and Punk hit the GTS for the pinfall victory to a great pop.
Post-match, McMahon ran over and snatched the headset off Lawler's head and yelled to have the music cut. He called for Del Rio to come out and cash in. Del Rio took his time, but finally ran out. He slid in the ring and Punk hit a roundhouse kick before the ref could ring the bell. Punk looked at McMahon and then climbed into the crowd to celebrate with his crew while McMahon looked dejected to close the show…
Shore's Slant: Wow. Great match. They went over 30 minutes, which is rare. There was a ton of actual wrestling. Certainly more than I have ever seen in a Cena match. And then Punk left with the belt. I am blown away. I need some time to digest it all. I'll have more on the member's exclusive audio review later tonight. Thanks fort watching along with me tonight.
Questions? Comments? Anyone, anyone? Let me hear from you. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @the_shore_slant with whatever is on your mind.