6/18 TNA BaseBrawl in Buffalo: Hulk Hogan as special enforcer for Kurt Angle vs. Scott Steiner, A.J. Styles vs. Gunner, TV Champion pinned, Matt Morgan vs. The Pope, Tara vs. Winter
TNA BaseBrawl live event
Buffalo, N.Y. at Coca Cola Field
Results Courtesy of The Big Mosh, "The Chairman of the Board" Todd Vincent, and Chaz of MondayNightMayhem.com.
1. Kazarian defeated TNA World Television Champion Eric Young (w/Orlando Jordan). Kazarian won via a roll-up, after EY missed a backflip off the top rope. The highlights of the match featured O.J. leading the crowd in a freestyle rendition of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame," plus all three (Kazarian, EY, and OJ) running the ropes simultaneously (which eventually ended with EY double-clotheslining the other two).
2. Tara defeated Winter via The Widow's Peak. This was the first-ever match between the two Knockouts (in WWE or TNA/Impact Wrestling). Expect a possible singles feud between Tara and Winter this summer, as both ladies meshed very well together both inside and outside the ring. On a related, yet unrelated note, prior to the contest starting, the referee for the match, Earl Hebner, engaged in a little jaw-jacking with the fans in attendance, revealing a "Damn Right...I Did It" T-Shirt under his referee shirt, followed by a parody of the in-ring mannerisms of Bret "The Hitman" Hart. Needless to say, wherever Hebner goes he still received the "You Screwed Bret" chants, and Buffalo was no exception.
3. "The Blueprint" Matt Morgan defeated "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero via The Carbon Footprint as part of the Bound For Glory Series. This match was taped for TNA's official website (www.ImpactWrestling.com). "The Pope" dominated the early part of the bout, but the tide shifted, culminating with Morgan hitting an impressive slam of Dinero while "The Pope" was hovering on the tope rope, followed by the CFP and the three-count. Both received a solid reception from the crowd, but "The Blueprint" had a familiarity with the Buffalo fans, as he was one of the members of the national celebrity cast of the 2011 Variety Kids Telethon.
4. James Storm and Alex Shelley (w/Robert Roode) defeated The British Invasion (Doug Williams and Magnus) to retain the TNA Tag Titles. Beer Money continues to receive fantastic reactions from the live audience wherever they go, and on the opposite end, The British Invasion played the role of the villainous heels quite well. Williams surprisingly did kick out of Storm's backstabber and Shelly's double foot stomp, but the momentum was clearly on the side of Storm and Shelley, as Roode (who jumped in during the final moments of the match) and Storm cracked out a double suplex to Williams, followed immediately by a superkick from Storm and the Sliced Bread #2 from Shelley. That was all she wrote. After the match, Beer Money engaged in some interactions with the crowd, including Storm, who shared some cold beverages with the stands on the first base line of Coca Cola Field.
5. Gunner defeated AJ Styles. Gunner won via a fireman's carry facebuster. While chatting with the referee while he was on the top rope, AJ lost his balance, leading to the beginning of the end for the former Grand Slam Champion. Both talents did not disappoint the crowd, many of which were perplexed at a near 30-plus minute intermission. The former Grand Slam Champion, in his return to Buffalo, put on a valiant fight, but it was Gunner who left Coca Cola Field with the W, as well as a busted nose.
6. Kurt Angle defeated Scott Steiner via an Angle Slam. The match featured outside interference from "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan, who was given the title of "Special Guest Enforcer" for the contest. Early on, Hogan was playing the role of heel, as he took out Angle on the outside of the ring. Despite going into "Immortal mode" during the match, "The Hulkster" received one of the loudest, if not the loudest, pop of the night. On the flip side of things, "Big Poppa Pump" received some of the best heel heat one has received in Buffalo in quite a long time.
Steiner trashed the fans at Coca Cola Field, including throwing insults at some of Buffalo's women. The quote of the evening could very well have been "Put a noose around that bitch." Angle was pure Angle, from coming out to a loud ovation from his fans in Buffalo, to his work inside the ring. After some back and forth action between the former Main Event Mafia members, Angle reversed an attempted piledriver from Steiner into an ankle lock.
When Steiner reserved the ankle lock, he tossed Angle into Earl Hebner, who was knockout out in the process. After "The Big Bad Booty Daddy" used a chair on Angle, he tried going to the top rope to finish things off, but Angle caught him with an Angle Slam for the 1-2-3. TNA World Tag Team Champions Beer Money also made their presence known towards the end of the match, as Hogan high-tailed it to the locker room, not wanting any part of Angle and/or Beer Money.
The night was capped off with a post-show fireworks celebration, as well as an in-ring autograph session with Kurt Angle and the TNA World Tag Team Champions Beer Money.
MNM Quick Takes:
*An impressive showing by the fans in Buffalo who turned out in full force. One would hope that an overall Coca Cola Field at attendance of 2,000-3,000 would lead to a return of TNA/Impact Wrestling sooner vs. later.
*Don West was in charge of the VIP Immortal Experience (featuring "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan), as well as the various autograph signings prior to the event and during intermission (which featured "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles, Tara, and more of the stars of Impact Wrestling). Give credit where credit is due, as DW really took the time to mingle with the fans, making sure they were happy, and ensuring they received the most bang for their buck. Long lines for all of the meet and greets may have lead to headaches for some, but the majority of the fans in attendance we saw walked home happy, with a smile on their face.
*Both Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake (who accompanied Hulk Hogan on his trip) and Smith Hart were backstage at the event.
Look for exclusive video interviews with Gunner, "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero, TNA World Television Champion Eric Young, and Tara in the coming days exclusively on www.MondayNightMayhem.com, as well as the official social networking portals of MNM (Facebook: www.Facebook.com/MondayNightMayhem, Twitter: www.Twitter.com/FeelTheMayhem, and YouTube: www.YouTube.com/FeelTheMayhem).
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...