TNA Live Event
Report by Dot Net reader Brandon Wilson
My son and I made it to the box office and got bumped up to floor seats, so the night started off great! I'd say there were about 300 people there for the show. The MC warmed up the crowd with free stuff (Jeff Hardy armbands, DVDs, posters, flags, he even threw the bag!), and then Christy Hemme made it out to start off the show. She introduced Bobby Roode and Chris Sabin for the first match.
1. Chris Sabin beat Bobby Roode. Chris Sabin got a great pop from Biloxi! Bobby Roode controlled most of the offense throughout the match. They went about 6 minutes before a couple of reversals and switches lead to Sabin hitting the Cradle Shock for the pinfall. Very well worked match! Sabin didn't go to the top rope much, understandably after so many knee problems. He seems to want to be able to wrestle for a while.
Before the next match started, Christy Hemme introduced "the most infamous referee in professional wrestling", Earl Hebner. Earl came out rather heelish and received a mixed reaction. Sign Guy was on hand to lead the crowd in a "You Screwed Bret" chant and Earl tried to get in his face. He got back into the ring and revealed his "DAMN RIGHT I DID" shirt, complete with Bret Hart shades and DX crotch chops. Everyone got a pretty good kick out of it. I gave it a 4/10.
2. Velvet Sky beat Gail Kim to retain the TNA Knockouts Championship. I actually forgot that Velvet Sky was the champ...dah well. The match was pretty harmless, your typical Knockouts/Divas TV-rate match. It ended with Velvet Sky scoring the pinfall with a schoolgirl.
3. Mr. Anderson beat Magnus. Anderson controlled the majority of the match with some restholds. The Biloxi crowd started doing the old school "MRRRRRRRR........KENNEDYYYYYYYYYY" and he told everybody to shut up. (It'll never go away, Ken). Magnus looked to be on his way to finishing the match when Anderson hit the Complete Shot out of nowhere for the clean win. D-Lo came out after the match to celebrate with Anderson for no reason. Magnus got a good ovation after match was over.
Christy Hemme made it back out and brought out the owners of our local BBQ joint, The Shed. They came out with a launcher and shot a bunch of sandwiches into the crowd. A couple of fights almost broke out over these sandwiches and a few angry people left the show. Stay classy, Biloxi.
4. Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez beat Christopher Daniels and Kazarian to retain the TNA Tag Team Championship. This match was probably the most fun. Bad Influence REALLY interacted with the crowd in this match! Chavo and Daniels started it off at the bell. As soon as the bell rang, Daniels ran and hugged Kaz. They prepped for the match again and then Bad Influence hugged it out again! The crowd gave em some serious heat, and I heard Kaz shrug it off saying "What? We're best friends!" Chavo hopped out of the ring and hugged one of the female fans and the crowd popped! Then he jumped in and hugged Hernandez.
Chavo sold being squeezed to death by Hernandez (funny). Hernandez went around and hugged Earl Hebner. I got a pretty solid "Hug It Out" chant kicked up and Chris Daniels shut it down pretty quickly (jerk lol). The match finally started after all of the hugging. Bad Influence work GREAT together. A lot of what I see on TV pales in comparison to how funny they are at the house shows, and they are HEAT MAGNETS! Chavo hit the Three Amigos on both Kaz and Daniels and got a resounding "Eddy" chant. Hernandez hit the sit-out powerbomb for the pinfall to retain the titles. Match of the night.
Before intermission, the MC made the announcement that Earl Hebner had refereed his 100,000th match (wow.) and that he and Brian Hebner would be signing autographs by his table. My son congratulated him and Earl seemed to really appreciate it. Class act and I hope he can do 100,000 more.
After intermission, Christy Hemme brought in the next match.
5. Joseph Park beat Devon by DQ. Before the match started, Devon grabbed the mic and asked "Who the hell are you?" The crowd laughed. He gave Park 10 seconds to turn around and get out of the ring. Park refused and Devon pushed him around for a few seconds before Park shoved him back to a nice response from the crowd. Devon fired back with some good punches and took the match for the first few minutes. The crowd rallied Park back into the match and pumped him up for a good offensive flurry. He hit Devon with a sambo slam a la Ezekiel Jackson. Park made the cover when Bully Ray ran out and pulled Hebner out of the ring. The bell rang and they put the boots to Park for a while until James Storm ran out to make the save.
Storm grabbed the mic and said "Now hold on a minute, playas" (no, but he did effectively set up a tag team match). He called the team formerly known as the Dudleys out for a tag match, to which they refused at first until Storn started cracking "I did ______ to your mom" jokes. They called for the bell.
6. James Storm and Joseph Park beat Devon and Bully Ray. As soon as the match started, Bully Ray spit in the air and caught it in his mouth. It grossed the crowd completely out! Storm grabbed the mic again and said, "I see you got your swallowing skills from your momma too!", which instantly led to a "Bubba swallows" chant. The match was wrestled pretty evenly paced with the Dudleys controlling for a while until James Storm made the hot tag. He hit Bully Ray with Closing Time (the Codebreaker) and hit Devon with the Last Call Superkick for the win. After the match, James Storm and Joseph Park offered everyone a chance to get into the ring with him for $20. Fair price but it was already late and I have a 7 year old.
Notes: Overall, it was a pretty decent, very interactive show. This was my first TNA show and my son's first time ever even seeing anything besides WWE. He's hooked and he put it up in his top three favorite things to do besides Sonic and Mario. Good showing, TNA. I'll see y'all next time.
5/3 TNA in Biloxi, Mississippi: Chris Sabin vs. Bobby Roode, Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez vs. Christopher Daniels and Kazarian for the TNA Tag Titles, Velvet Sky vs. Gail Kim for the TNA Knockouts Title
Posted in: TNA Live Events
May 4, 2013 - 02:20 PM
May 4, 2013 - 02:20 PM
© Copyright 2013 by PROWRESTLING.NET