2/16 ROH in Cincinnati report (updated): Kevin Steen, Steve Corino, and Jimmy Jacobs vs. Adam Cole, Davey Richards, and Kevin Steen, Kyle O'Reilly vs. BJ Whitmer, Jay Lethal vs. Tadarius Thomas, The Briscoes work singles matches
ROH live event
Cincinnati, Ohio at
Report by Dot Net Member Jeremy "JMos26" Moses
Pre-show notes: Attendance estimate was around 450-500, which for this venue meant that it was nearly at capacity. Before the show started we got the chance to meet Adam Cole, Michael Elgin, Davey Richards, BJ Whitmer and Veda Scott. All five were very cordial in person, and Veda noted that she'd been with Cole early that morning at Sinclair's newest station, WKRC-TV (I'd seen it on the ROH twitter feed, but unfortunately wasn't home to watch the segment.) Also of note, Jay Lethal walked behind the handicapped seats to get backstage, and grabbed my shoulder saying, "What's up, guys?" Very cool dude. There were several cameras set up, as like all ROH house shows, it was being filmed for a DVD release.
1. ROH World Tag Team Champion Jay Briscoe beat QT Marshall. Great opener. Maybe not solid technical wrestling, but it got the crowd hot for what was to come.
2. Jay Lethal beat Tadarius Thomas via pinfall. Now THIS was solid technical wrestling. Straight up. A Great match to watch, but hard to follow! Thomas does something called Capoeira, which is a Brazilian martial art. It has to be seen to be believed. Just...wow.
3. ROH World Tag Team Champion Mark Briscoe defeated "Spyder” Nate Webb. I'm not sure what about Webb says "spyder or spider." Call me crazy. I just don't get it yet. Not too bad.
4. Roderick Strong beat ACH via pinfall. Pretty sound technical wrestler. I can see why others have raved about him.
5. Charlie Haas beat the holy hell out of Pepper Parks and pinned him. Seriously, this one had me scared for my own safety at two different points. Haas came out and cut a promo on us. Nothing special. At the tail end of the promo, Haas asked, "Who's Pepper Parks?" Parks responded, "You're about to find out who Pepper Parks is, you S.O.B," dove out of the ring onto Haas, then proceeded to throw him into the guardrail...right in front of where I was sitting with several other wheelchair-bound fans! At the conclusion of the match, Haas asked for his beer. The crew person next to my area said no to Haas twice. Big mistake. He got beat down and swung into the rail a la Miz on Raw, and then beer poured on him. Luckily, he's okay as I spotted him watching the main event from behind the curtain.
6. BJ Whitmer beat Kyle O'Reilly via submission. Solid technical match. Crowd was VERY much behind Whitmer here as he is from Cincinnati. Good stuff.
7. Kevin Steen, Jimmy Jacobs, and Steve Corino beat Adam Cole, Davey Richards, and Michael Elgin in a six-man elimination tag match. It was announced that the match had no time limit. The eliminations came in this order: Richards, Cole, Jacobs, and Corino, so it all came down to Steen and Elgin. Just a straight up brawl. The refs had a hard time controlling this entire match, and it once again spilled out right in front of us. Cole took one hell of a nasty bump (I believe it was a piledriver at the hands of Corino, but it was on the other side of the ring so can't say for sure) and was temporarily pulled out of the match before coming back after Richards' elimination.
Steen won, unfortunately I didn't see what he won with as I was distracted by Jay Lethal beating the hell out of Corino. Afterward, Lethal was being beaten down, and the Briscoes proceeded to rush the ring and, along with Elgin, clean house on SCUM (pun not intended). That's when some idiot fan, who had probably had a couple drinks, rushed the ring trying to jump the Briscoes! Ugh. And people wonder why fans get a bad rap sometimes. The Briscoes came over afterwards to thank the fans in our section. Very cool dudes, at least in my brief interaction with them.
Notes: This is my first time attending an ROH live event. As such, I didn't know what to expect going in. What I got was a solidly good card, top to bottom with great talent. I could have done without the barricade nearly cracking my knees though!
Update: In my live report, I stated that "an idiot fan who had probably had a couple drinks" had jumped the rail. I have since been informed via Kevin Steen's Twitter account that apparently this was not the case. In fact, it was a local kid who has Down Syndrome. I sincerely apologize for my remarks and error.
The Briscoes the first time each came out
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
ROH Live Events • Latest Five Articles
|6/8 ROH in Columbus, Ohio: Jay Briscoe vs. Eddie Edwards for the ROH Title, Matt Hardy vs. Mark Briscoe, Kevin Steen vs. Rhino, Adam Cole vs. Caprice Coleman, Davey Richards vs. Cedric Alexander
|6/1 ROH in San Antonio, Texas results: Jay Briscoe vs. Davey Richards for the ROH Title, Adam Cole vs. Roderick Strong, ROH TV Champion Matt Taven vs. Eddie Edwards in a Proving Ground match
|5/18 ROH in Richmond, Va. report: Fans throw rainbow colored streamers during Jay Briscoe's entrance, The American Wolves vs. Rhett Titus and Cliff Compton, Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe, Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs
|5/18 ROH in Richmond, Va.: Date set for Matt Hardy's ROH Title match, Jay Briscoe vs. B.J. Whitmer for the ROH Title, Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs, The American Wolves vs. Rhett Titus and Cliff Compton
|5/11 ROH in Belle Vernon, Pa. Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Briscoes for the ROH Tag Titles, Jay Lethal vs. Jimmy Jacobs in a No DQ match, Adam Cole vs. Roderick Strong vs. B.J. Whitmer in a three-way
|4/6 ROH TV taping: Full results for four upcoming television show taped WrestleMania weekend in New York City (spoilers)