2/13 Ring of Honor 8th Anniversary Event: New ROH Champion crowned, The Briscoes defend the ROH Tag Titles against Dark City Fight Club, Brian Kendrick vs. Roderick Strong, TNA tag team advertised for a future show
ROH Anniversary show
New York, N.Y. at Manhattan Center
Report by Dot Net reader Alejandro Osborne
1. Roderick Strong defeated Brian Kendrick in a Pick 6 match. A short match with a Tiger Bomb-good to see Kendrick in ROH again.
2. Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli beat the Bravado Brothers. The Kings of Wrestling won with the KRS-ONE. A glorified squash. Hero and Castagnoli look better than ever.
3. Necro Butcher & Eddie Kingston beat Erick Stevens and Joey Ryan in an unsanctioned grudge match. Necro choked out Joey Ryan with a paper bag over his head. Post-match, The Embassy beat down Necro until Kingston made the save.
4. Davey Richards defeated El Generico by submission. Richards won with a cross-arm breaker. (4.7 of 5 stars) Match of the night, probably the ROH Match of the Year thus far.
The Motor City Machine Guns will return on May 8 (may be in the Hammerstein Ballroom, but I don't know if i heard correctly.)
5. Jay and Mark Briscoe defeated The Dark City Fight Club to retain the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Titles. The Briscoes won with Spike Jay Driller. Ok Match. The Kings of Wrestling hit the ring and attacked the Briscoes. The DCFC got involved and a huge three-way brawl took place. The Briscoes threatened a Doomsday Device on Sara Del Rey, but Chris Hero made the save.
6. Delirious defeated “Pretty Boy Pitbull” Kenny King, “Skullkrusher” Rasche Brown, and Steve Corino in a Four Corner Survival Pick 6 Challenge Match. Delirious pinned King with Shadows Over Hell. Entertaining match.
7. Colt "Boom Boom" Cabana over "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen (w/Steve Corino) via DQ when Corino got involved. Steen seemed to hurt his knee mid-match. Corino came out to will him back into the ring. Corino gave Steen a chair to hit Cabana with. El Generico came out to have a stare down with Steen. Generico got a chair to hit Corino. Steen stared him down, grabbed his a chair and hit him. Cabana came in and chased them off.
8. Tyler Black defeated Austin Aries to win the ROH Title. Roderick Strong, Kenny King, and Jim Cornette were judges for the match in which there had to be a winner. Black won after two superkicks and the Phoenix Splash. Late in the match, King got on the ring apron to distract the referee, but Strong got up to kick him off the apron (kicking his shoes into the balcony in the process), but also knocked Black off the top-rope. Black nailed Strong with a Superkick for his troubles. Jim Cornette climbed up on the apron to admonish Black and ate a Superkick as well. Aries tried to take advantage, but was met with a Turnbuckle Powerbomb, two superkicks, and a Phoenix Splash to crown a new champion.
The crowd popped huge for the title change. The locker room emptied. Strong challenged Black to a title match afterward, but he couldn't spoil the moment for Black, who continued to celebrate. A far better match than the two had in December and the show ended around 10:30 p.m. or 10:45 p.m., which is about 2 1/2 hours earlier than Final Battle.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...