7/26 Mathieson's ROH on HDNet Live Coverage: Christopher Daniels vs. Roderick Strong, the American Wolves vs. the Dark City Fight Club, and the Kings of Wrestling issue an open challenge to three teams
By Joe Mathieson
Ring of Honor Wrestling on HDNet
Taped in Philadelphia, Pa.
A video recapping the recent happenings in the Kings of Wrestling vs. Briscoes feud. The opening video played and the Kings made their entrance for the opening match. Shane Hagadorn came out and said that he had hand-picked three of the greatest teams in wrestling to face the KOW. Hagadorn put over the three teams he had picked, but said that they were nothing compared to the KOW.
1. The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) defeated Josh Emmanuel and Ice Jackson in 2:43. Emmanuel and Jackson didn't get any entrance music. The Kings ran through some of their spots and posed a bit. Jackson got a rollup for two at the two minute mark, but the Kings quickly finished the match with the giant swing/basement dropkick combination.
2. The Kings of Wrestling defeated Adam Cole and Nick Westgate in 1:54. No entrance music for Cole and Westgate either. Cole got some offense in the first thirty seconds and then a bit more before tagging in Westgate, who ate a KRS-1 in relatively short order for the pin.
3. The Ninjas (Jay and Mark Briscoe) defeated the Kings of Wrestling in 1:55. As the Ninjas got in the ring, the KOW turned and talked to Hagadorn for whatever reason. The Ninjas then unmasked and revealed themselves to be the Briscoes. The Briscoes beat up the KOW for a bit, with a double biel on Hero onto Claudio, and won the match with a Doomsday Device.
Joe's Judgment: I have had more than enough of the KOW-Briscoes feud. This was going fine until the Briscoes practically squashed the champs. That was unnecessary.
Kyle Durden was backstage with Christopher Daniels. Daniels said that Roderick Strong had changed, and he didn't know if it was his "new life coach" Truth Martini, but he saw him only as an obstacle on his way to becoming the best in the world.
4. The Dark City Fight Club (Jon Davis and Kory Chavis) defeated the American Wolves (Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards) by DQ in 8:28. The DCFC dominated for a bit, but the Wolves lowbridged them, hit stereo kicks, and then stereo dives. Edwards hit a dragon screw in the ropes and Richards hit a low dropkick and locked in a cloverleaf. Edwards went up top and hit a doublestomp on Chavis while he was locked in the hold.
Davis shoved Edwards into Richards to break the hold. The DCFC got a nearfall with a spinebuster and maintained offense for several minutes. Richards made a hot tag to Edwards, who reversed everything the DCFC tried and got two with a rollup after an enzuigiri. The Wolves got two after stereo kicks, but Davis broke up the pin and then clotheslined both Wolves.
Davis got two on Edwards after a double-team neckbreaker and put him up in a torture rack when suddenly the Embassy ran in to cause the DQ. They beat on the DCFC for a bit, but Rasche Brown ran down to make the save and there was a locker room-clearing brawl. Brown hit Necro and Erick Stevens with a chair several times and Prince Nana took out Bobby Dempsey before the Embassy retreated. [C]
Joe's Judgment: The Wolves were great, but the DCFC didn't sell and their offense was slow and clunky. The DQ finish came out of nowhere and the brawl was kinda weak. The thing I don't like about the Necro turn is that there hasn't been any adjustment period. He feuded with them for over a year, and then suddenly he joins and suddenly he's super-enthusiastic about doing whatever it is the Embassy does? Doesn't seem altogether realistic to me.
A video recapping Roderick Strong joining the House of Truth aired...
5. Roderick Strong defeated Christopher Daniels in 14:10. Daniels got a headlock about two minutes in and Hogewood got excited and wondered if Strong would submit. Um, I doubt it. Daniels hit a quebrada into a crossface, but Strong grabbed the ropes.
Strong hit a couple kicks and a backbreaker and continued to work on the back. He hit a couple chops and Daniels got a rollup and missed an O'Connor Roll. Daniels went for a suplex, but couldn't get Strong up. Strong hit another backbreaker as the crowd chanted "You suck" at him.
Daniels got another nearfall after an STO. At 10:30, Daniels hit a fulcrum kick on the apron and then an Arabian press to the floor. Truth started reading to him out of the Book of Truth, and Daniels followed him angrily. Strong came up behind and hit a torture rack backbreaker onto the apron. He brought Daniels back in the ring and hit another backbreaker for a great nearfall.
Strong went for the Stronghold, but Daniels kicked him off and then locked in the Koji Clutch. Strong looked like he was going to tap, but instead grabbed the rope, which was about two feet away form him the whole time. They traded forearms in the ring and Daniels countered one into a DVD for two.
Daniels went for a suplex, but Strong elbowed his way out. Strong went for a gutbuster but Daniels got out the same way. Daniels went for a German, but Strong ran him towards the ropes where Truth hit him with the Book of Truth, which exploded. Strong followed up with the sick kick for the win. Hogewood and Prazak argued about Truth as the show ended.
A video hyped next week's show, featuring the Briscoes vs. the KOW in singles matches.
Joe's Judgment: The match was pretty good even though Daniels' selling deteriorated as it went on. Strong's heel turn is interesting even though he essentially does all the same stuff he did as a face and Truth is just kinda there and interferes occasionally.
Overall tonight's show was nothing to write home about. It had some solid wrestling, but nothing was exceptionally memorable. Nothing was really bad either, this was basically just a standard week of ROH TV.
Anything you want to say about this show or ROH in general? Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...