ROH SuperCard of Honor VII
New York, N.Y. at the Hammerstein Ballroom
Report by Dot Net contributor Zack Zimmerman Twitter.com/zzimm22.
Sold out at the Hammerstein tonight. Just an incredible atmosphere.
1. ACH and Tadarius Thomas beat QT Marshall and RD Evans. Very fun, fast-paced opener and the crowd loved every minute of it.
Shelton Benjamjn came out and didn't have an opponent due to the sudden retirement of Charlie Haas. So he called Cheeseburger into the ring. They were interrupted by the return of Mike Bennett. Cheeseburger insulted Maria, and Bennett knocked him out. Benjamin attacked Bennett and the match was underway.
2. Mike Bennett (w/Maria and Brutal Bob) beat Shelton Benjamin. Very good match and Benjamin was over huge. Great spot where Maria thought she was rubbing Bennett, but it was Benjamin. Benjamin dodged a Bennett superkick and Maria ate it. Bennett got the win a short time later with a rollup while Brutal Bob held on for leverage.
3. Michael Elgin beat Jay Lethal to become number one contender to the ROH Title. Absolutely phenomenal match; stellar action, crowd on fire, and fantastic false finishes. One of my favorite matches I've ever experienced, and from the crowd response, I'd say I'm not alone.
Post match, SCUM beat down both men. Team ROH babyface made the save, and the 10-man was underway.
4. SCUM beat Mark Briscoe, Cedric Alexander, Caprice Coleman, Mike Mondo, and BJ Whitmer in a 10-man tag. This wasn't much more than a big brawl around the ringside area, but it was pretty well done. Worst match thus far, but the crowd didn't care, it was simply electric in the building. Rhyno got the win with the Gore on Coleman.
During the match, Steve Corino rammed Caleb Seltzer into the guard rail, removing him from commentary for the evening (and optimally, for good). Nigel McGuinness would replace him at the table, much to the delight of the NY crowd.
5. Karl Anderson over Roderick Strong with the Gun Stun. Good match, not great. The crowd wasn't as hot as I would've expected, certainly not for Anderson until the ovation after the match.
6. Matt Taven beat Matt Hardy and Adam Cole in a three-way elimination match to retain the ROH TV Title. The crowd was hot for Cole, anti-Hardy, and indifferent to Taven. Plenty of "F--- you, Hardy!" chants as usual in New York. Cole eliminated Hardy with a low-blow and small package (a la Hardy's win at Final Battle). Taven hit his front leg sweep DDT to get the win.
7. ReDRagon beat The American Wolves to retain the ROH Tag Team Championships. Fantastic match, the crowd was pretty quiet through the first half, but these guys worked their asses off and brought the crowd to life in a big way. Incredible false finishes that had the crowd jumping with every near-fall. O'Reilly got the win with a handful of tights.
8. Jay Briscoe defeated Kevin Steen to win the ROH World Championship. Great match with the most breathtaking, unbelievable finish I've ever had the pleasure to experience live. SCUM tried to interfere, but team ROH fought them to the back. Matt Hardy snuck in the ring, but Kevin Steen turned face and cleared him from the ring. Jay hit a vicious lariat and a second J-Driller and scored the 'impossible' pinfall victory. The crowd absolutely erupted in pure shock and adulation.
Post match, Kevin Steen took the mic from Jay, but rather than disrespecting him, he dropped the mic and shook Jay's hand. Jay said that even though they have new music, he wants to hear some Skynyrd. Their original theme, "Gimme Back My Bullets" hit and the crowd erupted once again. Massive "ROH" and "You deserve it" chants in support of the new champ.
Overall, this was the most electric crowd I've ever been a part of. We were hot for everything, and that brought the already fantastic in-ring show to the next level. Tonight was something special. I'm getting word that the feed cut out for the finish. If that's true for everyone, that is absolutely tragic for the magic and memorability of this moment.
4/5 ROH SuperCard of Honor: Zim's live perspective report on Jay Briscoe winning the ROH Title, Kevin Steen clears a member of SCUM from the ring
Apr 5, 2013 - 10:45 PM
Apr 5, 2013 - 10:45 PM
© Copyright 2013 by PROWRESTLING.NET