7/10 WWE in Tokyo results: John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn for the NXT Championship, Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins and Kane
WWE Live Event
Report by Dot Net reader Ethan Carter
I was excited that Hulk Hogan was in Japan, but he was not at the show. That was disappointing, but it was still great show.
Before I entered the stadium, I took a picture with eight Japanese guys who were dressed up as superstars. There was Rock, John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, Zack Ryder, El Torito, CM Punk, and Luke Harper. They've been there all three times I've attended and before the show, fake Rock walked around the arena and was saying catchphrases and stuff.
1. Dolph Ziggler beat The Miz. They both got good reactions, although, everyone does because in Japan, you're just happy to see recognizable people. The Miz used some heel tactics to get some boos. He teased throwing his shirt to the crowd only to throw it to the ground. They started off pretty evenly. At one point the Miz ducked a punch and scurried to the corner and said "not the face, put the fist down." It was sorta a comedy segment. There were "Lets go Ziggler" chants and slow to fast clapping, the Miz tried to use the figure four but Ziggler hit the zig zag for the win. The Miz ran off into the back like a um... little girl.
2. Big E and Kofi Kingston beat Luke Harper and Eric Rowan. All got okay reactions. Kofi was more over than Big E. The crowd (myself included) held up our camera lights during the entrance which looks awesome live. The match was mostly even. Big E and Eric Rowan traded shoulder knockdowns until one knocked down the other. The Wyatts lost from a rollup by Kofi, then attacked Kofi and Big E after the match and left.
3. Adrian Neville beat Sami Zayn to retain the NXT Championship. I'll be honest, I hadn't heard a lot about either besides that Zayn was El Generico and Neville has that sick moon-corkscrew-dive thingy. Zayn cut a promo before the match saying how he loves wrestling in Japan and has had some of his best memories there. He bowed and stuff. Zayn and Neville shook hands and proceeded with the match. Lots of top rope, high flying moves that got some really good pops from the crowd. Speaking of the crowd, there were tons of "ole ole ole ole ole" chants. Neville was sort of the bad guy in this match, hard to tell. There was a great spot where Zayn got caught into a powerbomb but reversed into a huracanrana-type pin, and got a really close nearfall. That got the first, and only, "This is awesome" chant. Neville eventually won with his finisher and raised Zayn's hand in respect after the match. That was one of the most entertaining matches and I have a lot of respect for both wrestlers now and will take a lot more interest in NXT.
4. Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose beat Kane and Seth Rollins by DQ. Rollins got a ton of heat, but Kane did not. I think he was cheered out of respect and since he is such an iconic wrestler. Ambrose and Reigns got good reactions, Ambrose was the louder of the two. There was a "you sold out" chant directed towards Rollins before the match broke out, causing Rollins to yell and cover his ears. The match was normal. Rollins constantly used the ropes or leave the ring like a heel. Kane and Reigns traded shoulder bumps, almost exactly like Big E and Rowan. Things got hectic and Reigns had Kane setup for a spear, then Rollins hit him from behind with his MITB briefcase causing a DQ. The heels beat down the faces until they made a comeback when Reigns hit a spear to Kane.
Next was intermission where we were told to vote for the stipulation for Paige and Alicia Fox - dance off or match. There was also a five-minute Hogan video shown even though he wasn't at the show.
5. Paige beat Alicia Fox. Both got decent reactions. A match won out (thank God) and was over quick with Paige making Alicia Fox tap out. During the match, some people chanted "Lets go Paige" but they pronounce it as "Pay-jay" so I thought they were chanting for AJ but it was just their accents.
6. Rob Van Dam beat Cesaro (w/Paul Heyman). Heyman came out, to my surprise. He wasn't advertised to be there but maybe he took the place of Bad News Barrett who was out due to injury. Heyman came out, talked about Brock Lesnar and introduced Ceasaro. Heyman got a very loud, mixed reaction, Cesaro got a mixed one as well. RVD came out to a very nice reception and there were loud "Rob Van Dam" chants. During the match, after a close pinfall, Paul Heyman would slap the mat three times as if to say "that should've been a three count" but it backfired for the crowd thought he was starting an "RVD" chant. Heyman did it twice and the second time he was like "you guys stink." Ceasaro hit the swing on RVD 10 times and went for the Nuetralizer, but RVD countered adios hit the 5-Star for the win.
7. John Cena beat Bray Wyatt to retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Wyatt got mixed reactions, a ton of cellphone lights during his entrance. Cena by far got the loudest reaction of the night, by a huge margian. The place exploded and it was pretty much all cheers. He was by far the most popular wrestler. There were lots of "Lets go Cena" and "Cena sucks" chants, although not a many "Cena sucks," mainly claps instead. Wyatt dominated most of the match. At one point Wyatt reversed an AA attempt into a Sister Abigail for a close two count. Wyatt then grabbed a chair but the ref took it. Wyatt turned around and Cena hit the AA, but Wyatt kicked out. The ref got knocked out and the rest of the Wyatt Family came out and beat down Cena. Bray went to hit Cena with a chair but accidentally hit Rowan, Cena clotheslined Harper, then hit Bray with the AA and won it. He cut a promo afterwards about how it was an honor fighting in Japan as champion and he bowed and thanked the crowd.
Overall, it was a fantastic show. I would've liked to have gone on Friday to see Hogan, but I can live without it. Plus, there's a storm watch so the weather wouldn't be ideal. Anyways, a fun night, always a good time, and the fans were so well organized and respectful, and it was a good experience.
1. John Cena
3. Dean Ambrose
1. Seth Rollins
2. Bray Wyatt
3. Paul Heyman
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
From Around the Web